The Q&A Archives: classy but simple landscaping

Question: We are starting from a bare slate--We have nothing on our property. Our house is a Ranch. We are going to plant some shade trees(which w/b on south side of house) and I also want to plant some upright arborvitae trees to screen out our terrible neighbors to the west of us(trees w/b on the s.w.side of property). We just don't know what to do with the front (to start with).

Answer: I can guide you to two excellent publications from Iowa State University which might provide you with some basic landscaping ideas and lists of plants suitable for your growing region. I hope you find them helpful.

Then I suggest you measure your front yard and sketch it out so you have some idea of where you'd like to put your shrubs, vines and perennials.

Best wishes with your new landscape!