The Q&A Archives: Sweat bees and Hibiscus plants

Question: I just purchased 5 hibiscus plants to add a tropical look around my pool deck but it seems that have attracted sweat bees. I have never had this problem before so it has to be the plants. What can I do to keep them away as I don't want to have to get rid of my plants or move to an area away from my house. Thank you for your help!

Answer: Sweat bees are any bees that are attracted to the salt in human sweat. Planting hibiscus with big bold flowers is what attracted them to your yard and they are finding humans nearby so they are naturally attracted to the salts they sense. I think I would move the hibiscus to another part of the yard rather than have to put up with the bees. There's really no other solution. As long as the hibiscus are flowering they will attract the bees.