The Q&A Archives: Groundcover Under Maple Trees

Question: I have an old maple tree which is covering the top of our lawn with its long exposed roots. In the summer the lawn becomes quite dry as the tree roots absorb all the moisture. No matter how much we water the lawn, it still becomes dry . Most of the grass turns yellow or dies. I would like to replace the lawn with some kind of perennial ground cover. This area is mostly shaded during the day. Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated. Roger Blum New York City, NY

Answer: Good choices for you would be English Ivy, Periwinkle or Pachysandra for lower growing ground cover(4" to 10") and Hosta for taller ground cover(2' to 3'). Be sure not to add more than 1" of soil over the roots and keep the young goundcovers well watered, or they'll dieback.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Agave"