The Q&A Archives: Wisteria & Trumpet vine

Question: We planted Wisteria on a 9X9 foot redwood trellis support 8 years ago. The location receives full sunlight 5 hours daily during the growing season here in Casper, WY, zone 4. I have no idea what kind it is other than it's supposed to grow here & it's supposed to bloom lavender but it hasn't bloomed yet. My trumpet vine is 6 years old, same blooms yet. Help?

Answer: Wisteria can take forever to bloom - often 10 years after planting - so you may simply have to be more patient with your plant. Sometimes root pruning will shock it into flowering so try cutting into the soil with a shovel about a foot from the base of the plant, in random areas. This will slice through some of the feeder roots and send a message back to the plant that it better grow and flower. Trumpet vines really need more than 5 hours of sunshine in order to bloom well. It might be that once the vines grow up higher they will get more sunshine and will be able to bloom for you. I hope so!