The Q&A Archives: Yellow Grass

Question: My new lawn, (second year sod) is starting to turn yellow around the edges and spotty in the interior, it has good water coverage and was was fertilized a few weeks ago with Scotts weed and feed which took care of the dandelions, Do I have a fungus? I am watering every other day for 15 minutes and some places on the lawn it does puddle up but not where its turning yellow, thanks, cp

Answer: When you water frequently you encourage the roots to remain close to the surface where they become dependent upon frequent waterings. Too much water will encourage fungal diseases and can actually suffocate the roots of your turf which can turn the blades yellow. So my first suggestiong is to begin weaning your turf off such frequent applications of water. Cut back to twice a week and apply water for 10-15 minutes. Wait 30 minutes and then water again for 10-155 minutes. This should allow the moisture to percolate down much deeper into the soil and encourage deeper root growth. After adjusting your watering you should see a fast green up of your lawn. Best wishes with your turf.