The Q&A Archives: Controlling Japanese Beetle

Question: I have a dwarf weeping cherry tree that gets infested with Japanese beetles each year. This past season I utilized some netting and traps, however the beetles still manage to get inside. I do the right things for grub control on my lawn. I really want to be proactive this year, what kind of netting should I use? Any pesticide you can recommend? Should I use the beetle traps? Thank you for your consideration. Chuck Neild Litchfield, NH

Answer: Japanese beetles can be a tough pest to control. For sprays I'd try insecticdal soap on the adults or a new product called whole neem oil. This is different than the Bioneem in that it is a stronger concentration of this organic spray. It's availablefrom Greenlight Co., Box 17985, San Antonio, TX 78217, 210-494-3481.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"