The Q&A Archives: broccoli

Question: A couple of my broccoli plants, those getting the most sun, have suddenly shriveled up and the leaves are turning yellow, and in some places whitish. I treated the plants with a ring of Gardentone a couple of days ago and we've had a rather sudden spike in temprature (near 90 today!). Fertilizer burn, too much water or too hot? other plants with same treatment, less sun look great. Suggestions?

Answer: The white areas are most likely sunscald so if you can provide some temporary shelter from hot summer sunshine, you should be able to save your plants. Broccoli grows best in cool weather and will bolt when the weather gets too warm. An umbrella is probably an over kill but if you can drive a few stakes in the ground and suspend some burlap or sunshade screening to protect the plants from afternoon sunshine, I think your plants will perk up. Hope so!