The Q&A Archives: Ants in my planters

Question: What is the best way to get ants to relocate from my planter and burm? Nothing will grow there with them infesting the area. Thanks Sue

Answer: I'm afraid that most species of ants do not relocate. The queens get too big to move around and would be too easily picked off by birds and predators. What they usually do is close up the nearest openings and open others so they can forage in more profitable directions. So annoying them with diatomaceous earth will only make them close up some of the openings to their nest and make new openings. If you can't live with the ants you may have to destroy their nests. Boric acid can be mixed with jelly and set around the area. The ants will take the tainted jelly back to their nest and share with all. Eventually the boric acid will do them in. Wish I had better news for you.