The Q&A Archives: indoor orchids; outdoor cymbidiums

Question: I have indoor & outdoor orchids/cymbidiums for several years. What is the right way to water these plants. Shd. I water only the pot or also the leaves and flowers- w/c I do. Books claim they need humidity but do not explicitly say to water the leaves. I hear different opinions. Pls. let me know, as I know that I have not maximize their flowering potentials. Thank you.

Answer: Orchids like humidity but do not like water on their foliage so water only the soil, not the leaves. You can increase humidity by setting the orchid container on a few rocks placed in a shallow tray. Keep a half inch of water in the tray. The bottom of the pot should be above the water level so as not to rot the roots of the plants. As the water evaporates it will increase humidity around the plant. Enjoy your orchids!