The Q&A Archives: How to "help" a vine climb?

Question: I just seeded a bunch of Butterfly pea vine. My plan is to have them climb on the chain link fence surrounding my yard. The vines are now about a foot long but there is a 3 ft wall at the bottom of the chainlink. Will the vine climb the wall to the fence or do I need to do something to help the vine climb?

Answer: Once the vine is long enough you can coax it to vine on the chainlink fence. Or, if you don't want it scrambling along the ground until it is three feet long you can tie strings at intervals to the bottom of the chainlink fence and allow them to dangle down over the wall to the ground. Then wrap one vine around one string. The weight of the vine will keep the string taut and the vine should be able to twine around the string and work its way up the wall to the fence. I works for me and I hope it works for you, too.