The Q&A Archives: Brise d'Anjou Polemonium

Question: I ordered 3 of these from a nursery last year. They were weak and only one survived to appear this year. My plant is very small. It is still on the ground and does not appear to be growing. Planted in my Hosta Garden well shaded with some sun. Was fertilized with miracle grow a few weeks ago and still it looks small. What's wrong with my plant?
I just love this site. Thanks

Answer: You've chosen a beautiful variegated Jacob's Ladder! These plants grow well in rich, moist, slightly acidic soils. If you didn't amend the soil prior to planting, you might want to dig the plant, work some compost or peat moss into the soil and then replant your Jacob's Ladder. Keep the soil moist but not soggy wet and it should grow well for you. Enjoy!