The Q&A Archives: privacy trees

Question: I live in the suburbs of Chicago. Unicorperated, with large lots. I would like to plant some privacy trees to block the busy road that is visible in our back yard. We do get deer frequently. Any suggestions to keep deer away and provide privacy? We are going to need many trees, so a fuller tree to take up the most space with be alot easier. Any suggestions will be very appreciated.

Answer: Leyland Cypresses grow 3-4 feet a year and will make a nice screening hedge for your back yard. No plant is deer proof, but cypresses put out so much new growth each year that nibbling deer shouldn't set them back too far. You can plant them 6-12 feet apart and expect them to fill in rapidly. Best wishes with your landscape!