The Q&A Archives: Care for boston fern

Question: Hi,
I recently bought these within a month, they were beautiful at first, now some of the leaves look dead. They are in hanging pots on my porch(the way I bought them). It is very shady, with only morning sun. I water them, mist spray them with distilled water, my husband has put miracle gro on them, and still they look sick?? What can I do?? Thanks!

Answer: Could be that even minute amounts of morning sun are stressing them. They will become pale in bright locations and the fronds will burn in direct sunshine. If you can move them to a shadier spot I think you'll see a big difference in their growth and appearance. Boston ferns adapt well to indoor growing where light is low and grow naturally on forest floors where there is no direct sunshine at all. You might want to set them on a table or bench in a full shade area. Continue to mist the plants daily and water when the potting soil begins to dry on top. Best wishes with your ferns.