The Q&A Archives: Planting a Tree

Question: So I've decided I want to plant a tree in the front yard, but we've already hit 100 degree temps. Is it too hot to plant a tree, if not what kind of trees are best to plant during this time of year?

Answer: It would be a little too stressful for a tree if you plant it now. You'll have better results if you plant in October when the weather is cooler. This will give the tree several months to establish its root system before next spring. While you can plant now, the tree will be quite stressed, even with regular watering. I'd wait, knowing that if you plant this fall the tree will be much healthier during its lifetime. You have lots of trees to choose from! Jacaranda are popular, as are evergreen elms, orchid trees, purple leaf plums and Dahlbergia. Best wishes with your landscape.