The Q&A Archives: Palm Trees

Question: I have two good sized palm trees (about 12-14 feet). They are not in a lawn. How much water do they require? I have both trees on a bubbler type system with all other plants. I water every morning for 5 minutes. Is that sufficient?

Answer: Instead of teasing your palms with a sip of water each day, water deeply and thoroughly once each week. Build a basin extending out away from the trunk of each palm and flood this basin on a weekly basis. To make sure you're applying enough water, dig down into the soil after the water soaks in to see how deeply it penetrates. You'll want to fill the basin as many times as necessary to make the water trickle down and wet the entire root mass. Once you've figured out how many times you need to fill the basin to make this happen, you can repeat the process each week and be assured you're supplying the correct amount of water. Best wishes with your palms!