The Q&A Archives: Scotch broom care

Question: Once the scotchbroom flowers die, should we deadhead them? We bought 3 last year, and one died. We were told we should have deadheaded the flowers. Although the other two survived...

Answer: Whether or not you deadhead your scotch brooms should not make a difference in their overall health. I like to shear mine back after flowering. It stops the plants from producing seed pods (which saps the plant's energy - and I don't like to see them hanging there!). Either cut individual stems back below the spent flowers or use a hedge trimmer to prune them back into a compact shape. If you prune them back every year they will develop into thick, dense shrubs. If you do not prune them back they will have a more open growth habit. Best wishes with your Scotch brooms!