The Q&A Archives: "leggy" petunias

Question: Hello,
I just bought and set out some leggy petunias with pot bound roots in their individual cells and already flowering. My question is now that they are in the ground will they fill out? Should I pinch off the blooms? Buds? Are they doomed to be scrawny? I always start my own from seeds Nice compact plants! No time this year. By the way, my soil is FANTASTIC!!! Plus 10 hrs.of sun! -Tom

Answer: Since you've only just planted your leggy petunias, give them several days to become established, then start pinching them back to make compact plants. Don't just cut all the stems back at once - they will need some of their leaves to help them grow. But it you pinch back every third stem now, then wait for new growth from the pinched stems, then pinch back a few more of the leggy stems, you've eventually have lush, full plants. Enjoy!