The Q&A Archives: phalaenopsis orchid

Question: I was given this plant and I know nothing about them. Once the flowers fall off, do they bloom again and what is the best care for them.

Answer: The long lasting flowers of Phalaenopsis orchids come in shades of white, cream, pink, and lavender. The hybrids usually have larger flowers than the species. After blooming, if the stem is cut off just under the first flower, the stem may branch and produce more flower buds. Individual plants can have fifty to seventy-five individual flowers in a year.

Phalaenopsis are ideal for growing indoors. They prefer warm temperatures (65?F nights and 75?F to 80?F days) and bright light. Phalaenopsis have long roots and do not like to be disturbed so don't repot unless absolutely necessary. Water the soil, not the folige, and water when the top of the soil dries out. Best wishes with your new orchid.