The Q&A Archives: how good are these trees

Question: Sorry I'm asking so many questions--I just want to get the right trees the first time. What is your personal opinion of these Thuja

Answer: We are happy to help so don't be shy about asking questions! Thuja Green Giant are great for specimen plants or planted in groups for privacy screening. They are hardy in your growing zone and the only problems I have encountered with them is that they are targets of spider mites. These tiny pests like to hang out in dry, dusty locations and the centers of arborvitae suit them to a "T". The best way to discourage spider mites in arborvitaes or any other evergreen shrub is to periodically hose the plants off during the summer months, directing the spray of water towards the insides of the plant. Not only will you remove debris, but you'll send those pesky spider mites packing. If you shear or prune your arborvitaes lightly each spring you'll encourage lots of healthy new growth and keep them thick and dense.

Arborvitaes will adapt to most soils but they do appreciate well draining soils. So do spruces, so if the soil doesn't drain quickly in the proposed planting site, amend it with some organic matter or plant your arborvitaes in a berm or raised bed to facilitate good drainage. As with all landscape trees and shrubs, be sure to water deeply once each week.

Hope this answers all your questions!