The Q&A Archives: Landscaping

Question: The right side of my driveway slopes down, about 40 degrees. It is partially shaded. I have no idea what to plant, or how to provide an attractive landscape since it is very visible from the road. Also, at the end is 4 mailboxes, that I also do not have any idea of how to make it easy to maintain but neat and attractive. I would appreciate any suggestions you have. I can also send you a pictue

Answer: So many ideas, so little space! You might consider terracing the slope using attractive landscape blocks, or planting in groups - medium sized shrubs, woody perennials and then tender herbacious perennials, all planted to create an island, then some ground cover, then a duplicate island of grouped plants. Or you could simply plant an attractive groundcover and intersperse with shrubs. There are tons of landscape design books in the library and several in the book rack at your local Home Depot. You can glean ideas and then sketch out your own design. Enjoy the process and the finished garden!