The Q&A Archives: Small White Spots on Gardenia

Question: I have a gardenia bush I purchased last spring. It did really well all summer on our screen porch with a western exposure. Now that it is in the house for the winter, it is covered with small white spots. We did spray with Ortho Pest spray for white spider and it seemed to die back, also we pruned branch tips. Now it seems to be dying. The new leaves are curled and most of the mature leaves are turning brown and falling off. It is well-watered and not in direct sun; it does get some morning sun. I really love this bush and would like to be able to save it. Any help would be greatly appreciated by both me and my gardenia. Thanks. Pat Cape May, NJ

Answer: It's hard to say what's afflicting your gardenia. They like humidity so misting may help. There is a nursery in New Jersey that sells hardy gardenias that may be worth a call. They are, Fairweather Gardens P.O. Box 330 Greenwich, NJ 08323 609-451-6261