The Q&A Archives: Growing Veggies in Greenhouses

Question: I would like information on growing vegetables in greenhouses as well as a recommendation of appropriate varieties of tomatoes, lettuce, and other vegetables.

Answer: I can suggest some good resources for information about growing food crops in greenhouses. The book The Greenhouse Expert, by Dr. D.G. Hessayon, has detailed information on growing vegetables in greenhouses and includes variety recommendations. Another book, Greenhouses, by Sue Stickland, includes information about taking care of greenhouses as well as how to grow many vegetables and fruit in them.

Some helpful magazines include Greenhouse Grower Magazine, 37841 Euclid Avenue, Willoughby, OH 44094, (216) 942-2000; and Hobby Greenhouse Association magazine, 8 Glen Terrace, Bedford, MA 01730, (617) 275-0377. Web sites with information about greenhouses include: Sherry's Greenhouse, and Scott's Indiana Greenhouse, and The Gardener's Source List, Good luck. It sounds like a wonderful adventure.