The Q&A Archives: weed control

Question: regarding thistle removal. The thistles have taken over the rock beds surrounding plant beds. pulling the weed (painful even with gloves) seems to make them come back faster. how can I remove them? What weed killer should I use and when?

Answer: Triclopyr is sold as "Brush-B-Gone" and "Brush-Killer" and can be found next to the product "Weed-B-Gone" at most hardware stores.

Since both are selective herbicides that control ONLY broad-leaved weeds, it's advisable to apply it in the mornings (when it's cool) and when there is little or no wind. I usually cut the tops of the weeds down and then brush or spray it on the remaining crown of the plant. You should begin to see the thistle decline within 3 days after application and die within 10.