The Q&A Archives: Spacing Space Saver Cucumbers

Question: I'm growing Burpee space-saver cucumbers indoors under fluorescent bulbs. I want to plant four seedlings which have grown their first set of true leaves in one long "windowbox" shaped container. What dimensions should I look for in the container, and how far apart should I place the seedlings?

Answer: Bush type cucumbers can be crowded quite a bit if you provide them with adequate moisture, nutrition and light. Make sure you have plenty of light for them as several light fixtures will be needed to adequately provide for the plants.

Space plants 12 to 18" apart in your box planter. Count on allowing vines to sprawl a bit and directing them back over the planter as they wander beyond the lights. Keep the planter evenly moist but avoid the temptation to overwater.

A planter size of 1' X 1' is minimal for each of your cucumber plants, so a four-foot planter would be the minimum length.