The Q&A Archives: Controlling Slugs with Barriers

Question: Last summer, slugs invaded my garden and ate my pepper plants, 50 or so marigolds, basil, impatiens,oregano and the list goes on. I tried many home remedies; i.e. beer in metal tins - the slugs crawl into the tins and basically drink themselves to death and explode. This worked quite well - I would find 20 or so every day, but it didn't stop the slimy creatures. For as many as I killed, I had twice that number munching away! I also thought marigold plants were preventive plants, but the slugs atethem; as I said earlier - 50 of them. I also used pesticides, potent ones and that did nothing. Help, please. Spring is right around the corner. Mary Meyer Norwood, MA

Answer: It sounds like you live in slug hell!!! You've tried a few of the best known repellents and home remedies. The best barrier I've found for slugs is placing a copper strip around the bed/plants that are most effected. Obviously, you have to remove allthe slugs inside the barrier, but once you do, the slugs outside get a shock everytime the try to climb over the barrier, and thus are prevented from getting at your plants. These copper barriers are available from, Gardener's Supply Company 128 Intervale Rd. Burlington, VT 05401 800-863-1700