The Q&A Archives: Container Garden-Small Patio

Question: I live in a south suburb of Chicago, IL in a condo with a small patio facing the south with good sunlight. I would like to plant furit and vegetables in coantainers. I am thinking blueberries, strawberries, tomatoes and spinach. Will these thrive? What else could I plant? Where do I start? I know nothing!

Answer: Most vegetables will adapt to growing in containers. You'll want large containers for most vegetables to accommodate their roots. Besides common herbs here is a list of some great container vegetables:

Use 3-5 gallon containers for tomatoes and cucumbers, 2-gallon sized containers ofr eggplants and pepper plants, beans, lettuces and spinach can grow in one-gallon containers, and in 3 gallon containers plant shorter varieties of corn such as Sugar Buns and Quickie.

As long as you keep your plants well watered and in full sun, they should thrive. Enjoy!