The Q&A Archives: spinach

Question: I planted seeds of spinach in window box.They are growing well.Now they are kind of baby spinach.I would like to make salad,put them in soup.How should I harvest? Should I cut at ground level all togerther one plant? Or pick leaves here and there of several plants? How should I fertilize? Thank you

Answer: I would pick off individual leaves, or carefully cut a cluster of leaves from the top of the plant. If you cut the plant way back, the main stem of the plant it may not send up new stems. Just harvest a little from each plant. About a third of the plant should not stress the plant out too much. Feed with a half strength dilution of water soluable plant food (such as Miracle Gro). Best wishes with your spinach.