The Q&A Archives: Source for

Question: Regarding the shady area ground cover commonly known as "Snow on the Mountain" is it available in seed? If so where can it be purchased? Secondly I have an area where this plant flourished well but the last couple years it has nearly died off. What kind of soil nutrients are needed to restore this area? I live in a dense pine tree wooded area. Mike Pirozzoli Pine Springs, MN

Answer: "Snow on the Mountain" (Aegopodium podagraria) can tend to be an aggressive ground cover plant, so be careful where you place it. I don't know a seed source for them, but the following company sells flats of transplants at a resonable price. Remember,these plants spread, so it won't take long for them to fill in. Gilson's Gardens 3059 N. Ridge Rd. P.O. Box 277 Perry, OH 44081 216-259-4845 It may be a combination of shade and acidic soil that killed off your old plants. I'd have a soil test done to determine the pH and then do some pruning to open up the area to more light. You may have to add some lime to raise the pH to an acceptable label for the Snow on the Mountain.