The Q&A Archives: lady banks rose vine

Question: In Abq, NM, ref. lady rose banks. How many 5 gal. plants are recommened for a 10X20 patio cover? Which is best to plant, white or yellow. I've heard yellow is more hardy, but I perfer white. I also have a tree close by, will it attach itself to it? I need something managable. THX

Answer: The yellow Lady Banks rose has lots of flowers but very little fragrance. It will grow 15-20' high and 8-10' wide. If you keep it pruned away from your tree it won't cause problems. Unpruned, it may very well attach itself to your tree. Unlike the yellow, the white Lady Banks rose has both fragrance and thorns. It will grow 12-20' high and 8-12' wide. I would plant only two or three Lady Banks roses and wait for them to fill in.