The Q&A Archives: Cherry tree&Viburnum problems

Question: The ends of the cherry tree and some on the viburnum bush got curled and there are like small insects on the leaves at these ends... Also, I can see some lady bugs feeding on them.. What is it and how can I prevent and cure these curled leaves at the ends...

Answer: Sounds like aphids are sucking the fluids out of the tissues and lady bugs have come to the rescue. If you spray anything you'll kill the ladybugs and then you'll be stuck having to destroy future generations of aphids without help from the ladybugs. You can try hosing the pesty aphids off the leaves (the ladybugs will fly away) or you can cut off the most infested leaves. Wait until dusk or very early morning when the ladybugs have left the area or have yet to arrive. Then prune off the worst of the aphid infested leaves, stems, branches and dispose of them in a sealed bag. That will greatly reduce the aphid problem and still protect the ladybugs. Best wishes with your landscape!