The Q&A Archives: Glory Bower

Question: I recently purchased a Glory Bower (the one with the blue flowers that resemble a butterfly). I have tried to look up information on it with little success. The soil it likes, when and how to prune, how tall it will get, can I keep it a smaller shrub, does it like more shade or more sun?

Answer: Clerodendrum is the botanical name for your Glory bower. If yours has blue flowers, it's Clerodendrum ugandense. It's an evergreen shrub with glossy dark green leaves. It can grow to ten feet tall, but you can keep it pruned if you want it shorter. Glory Bower likes partial shade and needs a lot of water during the summer months. You can help the plant remain healthy by amending the soil with organic matter (compost, leaf mold, etc.) prior to planting, and by supplying lots of water during the growing season, and pruning it back after it has flowered.