The Q&A Archives: Tomato Varieties for Small Spaces

Question: I have one site where my tomato plants get full daylight, and another site where they get morning sun only, indirect sun the remainder of the day. What variety should I plant in full sunlight? What variety should I plant for partial sunlight site? Since I have poor soil, what fertilizer should I use? Don White Louisville, KY

Answer: Tomatos do best with at least 6 hours of direct sun a day. There really isn't any difference between varieties as far as being in full or partial sun. Good varieties for containers and small spaces are 'Bush Big Boy' and 'Tumbler'. I'd plant themin the full sun location and plant other vegetables such as lettuce, spinach and carrots in the part sun location since these vegetables will grow okay there. Add composted cow manure to the soil and even topsoil if you can, to build the planting depth to at least 8-10" deep for the best growth. Then add supplemental fertilizers during the growing season such as a handful of 5-10-10 per plant at flowering time and fish emulsion once every few weeks when you water. This should give them plenty of nutrients.