The Q&A Archives: Treated Wooden Stakes and Fruit Safety

Question: Hello, I am getting ready to palnt some grape vines and I was going to stake them to

Answer: I understand your concern about the chemicals used in treated lumber. Not long ago most treated lumber contained CCA. For the most part, that is no longer used. Treated lumber and stakes are safe to use in landscape situations but I still don't think I would build a raised bed garden out of them and plant vegetables! A few stakes in the landscape should not harm your trees, shrubs or the grapes on your grapevines. If you are still concerned, you might want to use untreated wood and sink them into concrete as you would a fence post. Just dig a hole in the ground, fill it with concrete and sink your untreated stake into the concrete. The cement will keep the underground part of the stake from direct contact with the soil and it won't rot so readily.