The Q&A Archives: noise buffers

Question: Our street has gotten busier and busier. What would be a good, fast growing, choice for shrubs or trees? Would a fence help? How far back from the road should I plant to avoid winter-time 'burns' from road chemicals? I live in CT.

Thank you,

Answer: I'd put in a solid fence (to protect trees and shrubs from salt overspray) and then plant two separate "layers" of shrubs with the tallest nearest the fence and the shorter ones nearer the landscape. This type of planting plus fence should be a great noise buffer and will keep the slushy salt away from your landscape.

Some tall shrubs such as serviceberry, viburnums, spirea and lilac can go closest to the fence; Siberian peashrub, ceanothus, Elaeagnus Autumn Olive and Silverberry are other shrubs to consider. Good luck with your landscape.