The Q&A Archives: shrubs

Question: the shrubs in my yard have gaping holes in them that looks like someone sat in the bush. Can I salvage the bushes or do they need to be pulled up?

Answer: It really depends upon the shrub but usually you can prune them down by about one third to encourage healthy new growth and remove the damage. I'd try pruning them back to see if they recover. If not, you may want to replace them - maybe with a thorny shrub to keep people/critters from using them as chairs?

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"