The Q&A Archives: Black Spots on Tomatoes

Question: My problem is with tomato and pepper fruit. Both get black spots on them. Are these bacterial spots or is there another cause? Also I get hard yellow spots on my tomatoes. When you cut them open it appears off white in color . I cut around it but have had the problem for the last 2 years . Hard top? Maybe but it shows up on all parts of the fruit. It hits my pasta tomatoes too. Rick Reichard Hartford, OH

Answer: It sounds like your tomatoes are stressed out. Mostly these conditions are due to fluctuating water levels in the soil. Blossom end rot and uneven ripening are two conditions that you described. To solve the problem this year, make sure the soil is amended with organic matter to help with water retention, after the tomato and peppers are transplanted and growing, mulch with a 4-6" layer of hay or straw mulch to conserve the water and keep them evenly watered all summer --- especially if it turns outto be a hot, dry one. Paste tomatoes are particularly susceptible to blossom end rot, so give them extra attention.