The Q&A Archives: Planting Grape Hyacinth Seeds

Question: I saved the seeds from my grape hyacinth blooms this spring. When can I plant these and will they produce bulbs? Are there any special or unusual conditions that these seeds might need?

Answer: Muscari seeds (Grape Hyacinth) will germinate in 42-60 days when sown 1/16 of an inch deep in well-drained potting soil and kept at 65F to 75F degrees. No special treatment is required prior to planting. You should sow the seeds in moistened mix and put plastic wrap over the tray or pot to help hold in the moisture. Check periodically, and remove the plastic as soon as the seeds sprout. The plants won't bloom for a few years, but when they do, you'll really feel rewarded because of your accomplishment! Good luck!