The Q&A Archives: Brown "bubble" like spots on Hibiscus

Question: I just submitted a question involving tiny white flies on my hibiscus. I forgot to let you know that I also have small dark brown "bubble" like spots on the branches. What are they? Are they somehow related to the tiny white flies?

Answer: I doubt they're related to the white flies - more likely they are adult scale insects. These are sucking insects that station themselves on the stems and petioles of plants and feed to their heart's content. You can remove them by wiping them off with a damp paper towel, or a wet cotton swab.It can be really tedious work and if the plant is really loaded with scales, it's sometimes better just to replace the plant. Once you've removed the scales, inspect the plant regularly for new scales and remove them immediately. It's always a good idea to isolate newly purchased plants so you don't bring home diseases or insects that can spread to other plants.