The Q&A Archives: Dry Rock Garden

Question: I have a rock formation in my yard that has some crevices, but not deep enough to hold much soil. The area is in direct sun and receives very little water. If at all possible, I would like to soften the area with some plants--either annuals or perennials. Will anything grow in these conditions?

Answer: Few plants will grow in the conditions you describe, but you might try some really hardy Creeping Thyme, Ice Plant, or Rosemary in your rock garden. These plants will need some water, at least until they become established. Alternately, you might be able to plant in small pots and disguise the pots with stones. That would give the roots of the plants more of a chance to receive the moisture and nutrients they'll need to thrive. Good luck with your rock garden!