The Q&A Archives: golden privets

Question: my privets are partially brown around the leafs and i put them in the ground 1 month ago, what should i do, return them, or treat them with something

Answer: Landscape trees and shrubs can have trouble adjusting when first planted. I think the browning on the leaf margins indicates a little transplant stress. Privets need to be watered deeply once a week but they also like soils on the dry side so be sure to allow the soil to dry slightly between waterings. Too much water can make the leaf margins turn brown. Privets are reasonably tough shrubs so once they establish their root systems they should be fine. Give them another month to begin showing new growth. If they still do not look healthy after another month, you may want to replace them. Good luck with your plants.