The Q&A Archives: dog urine spots

Question: hello, i would like to know what i can put on my lawn to get rid of the burn spots from our 2 female dogs, does lime neutralize it? i really don't want to give them those tablets i've read about. hope you can help. thanks!

Answer: Lime might help neutralize the soil. Dog urine contains concentrations of salts, so it has probably thrown the soil pH off a little. I suggest raking about an inch of compost into the area. The compost contains soil organisms that can help balance to the soil biology and chemistry. Depending on the grass species, new blades may sprout in the renovated area, but you can always put down a little seed to get it going again. If your dog usually uses your lawn for relief, douse the area with a hose to dilute the effect of the urine soon after the fact. Consider also giving the dogs their own area to relieve themselves and fencing it in so you enjoy the rest of the lawn.