The Q&A Archives: White Dots on Indoor Plants

Question: I have a few questions. I have a pachira and a couple tropical plants with a bunch of small tiny white dots on the leaves. Is there anything to help that. I have a lot of indoor plants. What are some tips to keep them growing strong and healthy

Answer: I can't tell from your description whether the white dots are a fungus or insects. Indoor plants can become diseased if they are overcrowded and the air circulation is poor, and if they are over watered. Common insects on houseplants include mealybugs and scales, and sometimes whiteflies. Mealybugs and scales usually congregate on stems and in the crotches of branches; whiteflies will fly away when you touch the leaf. Once you figure out whether the problem is disease or insects, you can take control measures. Good luck with your plants!