The Q&A Archives: Rose polyantha

Question: I bought the above and planted it in a large clay pot 2 weeks ago. some of the leaves are dry and buds falling off. I water well every day and it get plenty of sun. ?

Answer: I don't know if your plant's behavior is a sign of transplant stress, the roots are becoming overheated (clay pots in summer sunshine can act like an oven), or if you are watering too often. Transplant stress can last a week or two but the plants usually recover and begin growing again. Overheated roots might be an issue. Try grouping smaller pots arount the clay pot to provide some protection from hot summer sun. Although clay pots can dry out quickly, I don't know that they will dry out in a single day. Stick your finger down into the soil before watering. If it is still damp an inch beneath the surface, it won't need watering. If it feels dry one inch below the surface, it's time to water.

Best wishes with your rose!