The Q&A Archives: Potato Bugs

Question: Could you please tell me ow to get rid of potato bugs, we dust them with the powder and it just does not work ?

Answer: Here's what I do: in the early part of the growing season, I diligently search the undersides of my potato and tomato plants' leaves--especially the new growth--and squish any orange egg masses I find. I try to do this every few days. Believe it or not, this has a big effect on later problems! If I miss any eggs and find adult potato bugs on the plants, I flick them off and squish them too.

If I still find myself with a potato beetle problem--and see those reddish brown larvae on the plants--I use a biological control called BT. There are many varieties of BT, so be sure to check the label and use one that specifically says it controls Colorado Potato Beetle. The product works best on the young larvae, so try to catch the problem early. BT doesn't kill the insects right away--the larvae have to eat it first. It will control the pest, and most importantly, it doesn't harm beneficial insects. I hope this helps!