The Q&A Archives: transplant of flower plants

Question: Hello
I have to move some flowers plants which are along our driveway (for 20 years) on both sides. I transplanted 2 of them in my yard but they died. As they are beautiful I would like to keep them. How can I move them safely ? Thank you. Catherine

Answer: I think the answer depends upon the plants. Some resent begin dug and transplanted and others don't mind at all. The best time to move plants is in the fall or in the spring, when temperatures are cool and plants are not actively growing. I'd wait until early fall to move the plants and then dig a large area so you are sure you get all the roots rather than accidentally severing them as you are digging. If you need to move them now, water the area well the night before (damp soil is easier to dig) and after transplanting, provide some protection from hot afternoon sunshine until the plants become established in their new homes. Good luck with the move.