The Q&A Archives: Spring pests

Question: Hi...
Each spring (right away), I get black dots on top of my lythrmn
and also other leafy plants. I see tiny red bugs. Are these Red Spider Mites? If so, what spray should I use on them?
Thanks so much for your help! Dorian

Answer: Tiny black dots might be fungus or rust. Overcrowded plants can develop these problems, especially if the foliage remains wet for extended periods of time or the plants are not getting adequate sunshine. Rather than guess, why not take a few of the affected leaves to your local cooperative extension office or well staffed nursery for help with diagnosis? The staff can recommend control strategies.

Spider mites are usually a late summer pest. They love hot, dry, dusty environments. Insecticidal soap will control them. Some plants can be sensitive to the fatty acids in insecticidal soaps so read the label and test on a small area of your plant before you spray the entire plant with the product. Best wishes with your garden!