The Q&A Archives: clematis

Question: All of my perennials are doing great except for clematis. It kept losing its leaves and vines. I used ties to hold them to the trellis. Is it the reason for losing the plant? I am not tieing them too tight. What am I doing wrong?

Answer: I'm not sure what the problem is with your clematis. They like their heads in the sun and their roots kept cool. Mulch over the soil to help keep the roots cool and/or set a decorative container or rock on the sunny side of the plant to help shade the roots. Fungal diseases can attack if the plant gets too much shade or is crowded and the air circulation is poor. There is also a disease called clematis wilt that can affect stems. There's no cure but if you cut off the affected stems, healthy new stems usually are produced. You might want to try cutting away the affected stems to see if new ones will emerge. Best wishes with your clematis!

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"