The Q&A Archives: Norwegian Maple

Question: I planted a Norwegian maple in front of my house near the curb late October, 2008. It was an offspring of a maple tree that was already established in my yard and it was about 15 feet high. I'm not sure if it's alive or dead as it hasn't yet broken dormancy. It does however have suckers on it with beautiful leaves. Does this mean it's alive. What should I being doing to take care of it? Thanks

Answer: It sounds as though the roots survived the division and transplant so that's a good sign. I'd give the tree a few more weeks to wake up. If it doesn't, it is dead but the roots and the suckers are alive. You can cut away the dead stem and encourage the new suckers to grow. Next year you can choose the largest, hardiest looking sucker to save and remove the rest of them. Maples are fairly fast to grow so it won't take more than a few years for one of the suckers to grow into a new tree. Good luck with your trees!