The Q&A Archives: Low Maintenance Lawn Substitute

Question: I will be moving to a new house just south of San Francisco in Pacifica, where the back yard
is not yet landscaped. The area gets both sun and shade and fog, and I am looking for an easy-to-maintain grass alternative that my dog can romp (and mess) on. I have heard of dichondra, and was also thinking of Mondograss for a textural addition at the lawn edges. Would these hold up under these conditions? Any other suggestions?

Answer: Dichondra is a high maintenance lawn substitute that wouldn't hold up under the circumstances you describe. Have you considered an eco-lawn mix that contains low-growing wild flowers? These specially formulated meadow mixes are attractive and practical, and are available through Burpee's (800-888-1447) or Nichols Garden Nursery, 1190 N. Pacific Hwy. NE, Albany, OR 97321-4580. Phone (541) 928-9280.