The Q&A Archives: contaminated soil?

Question: We removed an asphalt basketball court last year and I am wondering if it would be ok to plant a garden in it's stead. I don't know if the soil would be

Answer: I think there is a good possibility that the soil would be too contaminated to grow a vegetable garden but probably be fine for a flower garden. The oils from the asphalt will have percolated down into the ground and there's no telling how much or how deeply it might have penetrated. You might want to have the soil tested, just to make sure it is safe. If you want to plant a veggie garden in the spot, how about building a raised bed (18" high or higher) and filling it with topsoil? Your veggies will grow in fresh, new soil and you won't have to worry about contamination. Hope you have a bountiful harvest.